This year's conference was titled Opportunities in Construction - challenges for design & construction health and safety risk management. It took place at the beautiful Stoller Hall in Manchester on Wednesday 12 September.
Nearly 200 delegates heard a range of industry experts talking about:
- the aftermath and consequences of the Grenfell Tower disaster;
- issues around infrastructure design, build and management;
- developments and use of new technology to cut the risk of death, injury and ill-health; and
- the implications – particularly in the light of the collapse of Carillion - for small and medium sized enterprises in an industry where just under half of workers are sole proprietors, consultants or those working in small, local practices.
Speakers included David Taylor, President, CABE; Graham Watts, CEO, Construction Industry Council; Shelagh Grant; Housing Forum and Soyna Butler from the HSE.
APS Directors' Richard Wilks and Les Johnson were awarded honorary Fellowships in recognition of their contribution to the construction industry and David Taylor, President of CABE, was also awarded an honorary fellowship for his contribution.
The conference was followed by the APS National CDM and Student Designer Awards. Find out who won by clicking on the right of this page.
Interested in who else spoke at this year's conference? Click in the box on the right hand side to see the full programme.
Next year: what would you like from your APS Conference?
We're getting on with planning our conference for 2019 now. Since we aim to produce events that are relevant to you with interesting expert speakers in their field, we'd like to know:
- What topics would you like to see covered?
- Have you heard any speakers you recommend?
- What kind of event format would you like?
- Would you prefer a half day or a whole day?
- Anything else you think of...
Email us by clicking on this link: firstname.lastname@example.org