Since its foundation in the 1920s, Mountford Pigott LLP has become a well-established practice of architects specialising in retail, leisure, commercial and residential design. Based in South West London, our studios are well positioned to serve our growing client base across the UK and Europe. We now have a team of 50 technical staff and a varied portfolio of projects across the UK and beyond.
About the Role:
Acting as “Principal Designer” on behalf of MPLLP
- Making clients aware of their duties
- Assessing the competence of any designers appointed and identifying any consultancy appointments required to ensure sufficient consideration of health and safety issues.
- Undertaking health and safety specific design reviews throughout the design and construction phases of a project.
- Promoting and managing clear communication between project duty holders with respect to management of health and safety issues at all project stages.
- Advising and assisting clients to comply with their duties, in particular their duty to appoint designers and contractors with adequate skills, knowledge and experience to fulfil their statutory obligations.
- Managing the flow of health and safety information between clients, designers and contractors (by means of CDM risk register or similar)
- Identifying and collecting pre-construction information and advising of any additional surveys required
- Preparing and issuing the project specific Health and Safety file on completion.
Assisting MPLLP to perform its duties as a “Designer”
- Assisting the project team with the preparation of Maintenance Access strategies and drawings
- Assisting the project team with the preparation of Designers’ Risk Assessments and hazard identification
Advising MPLLP on Health & Safety and Premises CDM
- Advising MPLLP on CDM and Health & Safety matters in relation to our staff, premises and site visits.
- Assisting with SSIP and ISO accreditation registration and renewal in relation to CDM and Health & Safety
- Assisting with training MPLLP staff in relation to CDM and Health & Safety matters
- Assisting with the preparation and review of MPLLP policy and protocols in relation to CDM and Health & Safety.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience of providing CDM consultancy services to a diverse range of clients and projects in multiple construction sectors. They will have the ability to manage multiple projects; have an understanding of hazards encountered in complex construction projects and be able to work independently or within a wider team. In particular the role will require the following:
- Degree in Architecture, Building Surveying or other construction industry discipline with an additional Health and Safety qualification (NEBOSH Certificate / Diploma and/ or CMaPS membership)
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Excellent understanding and knowledge on the application of the CDM regulations.
- Varied experience of the design and construction process including onsite experience
- In depth knowledge of health and safety regulations relevant to construction and the workplace
- Practical experience of the application of CDM regulations, Principals of Prevention and co-ordinating Design Risk Management
- Practical experience of assessing and inspecting construction sites in relation to health and safety matters.
- Expert knowledge of design risk management.
- Basic proficiency in autoCAD 2D and/or some Revit experience would be beneficial.
- Driver’s licence – although the role is primarily office based in New Malden there would be a requirement to travel to sites, some of which are difficult to access via public transport.
Although the position is envisaged as being full-time, the partners will consider candidates for part-time or flexible working. The partners will also consider candidates who would like to expand the role to encompass additional duties related to MPLLP’s architectural work.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the successful applicant’s experience and MPLLP offer a stakeholder pension scheme, 23 days annual holiday and a full CPD programme to employees.
More information available upon request, interested applicants should email a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org